A man stands at the mouth of a well, donning a rudimentary harness.
Camera in hand, he starts a 126 meters drop, at the end of which he reaches two men working at the center of the earth.
We have entered the world of the traditional well-diggers of Niger.
Through interviews of a master well-digger and his labourers, the film reveals the customary know-how of these men fighting against sand in order to access water.
Shot in desert landscapes, the film treats the following themes : acces to water, desertification and its impact on the communities of nomadic cattle breeders.
For the emotion it arouses, and for its remarkable cinematic story, the jury unanimously chose to reward a work which plunges the spectators in the heart of a secular traditional know-how, giving men the access to a resource as vital as water in a arid environment.
Jury’s speech – Closing ceremony FIFEN 08
- Golden Giraffe, Festival International du Film d’Environnement de Niamey, Niger (films of less than 60 minutes)
– Golden Drop, International Water and Film Events, Istanbul, Turkey (films of less than 60 minutes)
– Audience’s Prize + special mention of the Professional Jury, Festival Les Toiles de Mer, Lanton, France
- Best Short Film, Festival Cinemambiente, Turin, Italy
- Best Documentary Short Film, Festival Panafrica, Montréal, Canada
- Best Reel Change Film, Human Rights Arts & Film Festival, Melbourne, Australia
Festivals and screenings
- June 2008 : Festival International du Film d’Environnement de Niamey, Niger – Prize : Golden Giraffe (category films less than 60 minutes)
- September 2008 : Festival International du Film Spot et du Film Court sur l’Eau et l’Environnement de Montpellier, France
- November 2008 : 26ème Festival International du Film d’Environnement, Paris et Île-de-France
- December 2008 : 3ème Forum Africain du Film Documentaire, Niamey, Niger
- January 2009 : 1st International Short Film Days, Blida, Algeria
- February 2009 :
* 31st International Short Film Festival of Clermon-Ferrand , France – Selection African Perspectives
* International Ethnographic Film Festival of Québec , Québec, Canada
* FESPACO, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- March 2009 :
* International Water and Cinema Events, Istanbul, Turquie – Prize : Golden Drop (category films less than 60 minutes)
* Au Film de l’Eau – International Water and Cinema, Verviers, Belgique
- April 2009 :
* Festival Les Toiles de Mer, Lanton, France – Audience’s Prize + special mention of the Professional Jury
* Festival Plein Sud, Cozes, France
* Péniche Anako – Sahara month, Paris, France
* Pavillon de l’Eau de la Ville de Paris, France
* 1st Muestra Internacional de Cine Documental y Etnográfico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
* 7th Human Rights Film Festival, San Sebastián, Spain
- May 2009 :
* Slow Food on Film, Bologna, Italy
* EnviroPhilm, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, France
- June 2009 :
* Festival de l’Oh, Arcueil, France
* 11th Festival Internacional de Cine Ambiental, Goias, Brazil
* 7th Festival Signes de Nuit, Paris, France
- August 2009 :
* Rooftop Films, New York, USA
* 6th International Audivisual Festival of Biodiversity, Rome, Italy
*12th CinemAmbiente – International Environmental Film Festival, Torino, Italy
- November 2009 :
* 23rd Leeds International Film Festival, Leeds, England
* Cinamazonia, Festival de Cinéma des Mondes Métissés, Cayenne, Guyane
* Traces de Vie, Clermont-Ferrand, France
- December 2009 :
* Festival Tous Courts, Aix-en-Provence, France
- April 2010 :
* 26th Panafrica International, Montréal, Canada
* Human Rights Arts and Film Festival, Australia
- July 2010 :
* Résistances, Foix, France
This page has the following sub pages.